Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Do We All Look Alike?

Most of us are familiar with the stereotype that “Asians all looked alike” but in a sea of whiteness, I stuck out like a foreign exchange student! I distinctly remember being called to the principal’s office when I was in 3rd grade to help translate for a visiting student. The only problem was, she was Japanese and I was Chinese!


Then there was Nina. A Chinese student who joined my elementary class briefly, for less than a year. You would think that I we would have bonded and formed an Asian alliance of two. Yet, oddly and sadly, I felt uncomfortable and distanced myself as far as possible from Nina. Ironically, I had tried so hard to fit in as an “American” that her presence reminded me of my real identity and the part of me that I wanted (and others) to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment