Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Dad, Johnny Cash and Whoppers


My father was one of the first Chinese graduates from Georgia Tech and lived in Little Five Points in the early '60's. I realized later why he looked so alarmed when I first informed him about renting a studio there. His recollection of the neighborhood was still as a shooting gallery and gang base. He recalls how all the Asian students "could fit in one classroom" at Georgia Tech and how he ate chili dogs at the Varsity a lot, not because it was trendy, but because "it was all I could afford!" My dad is very proud of the fact that he has been successfully self-employed for his entire career and as he puts it, "never received a paycheck from anyone." Even though I received scholarships and did work-study, his talent and success as an engineering consultant, entrepreneur and businessman supported me through school and the early years of my career. For this, I will be forever grateful.
Now he is creating another chapter as a retired engineer and monk-in-training.
My father is the last person you would think of to take up yoga, let alone to become a yoga advocate! He never liked sitting cross-legged on the ground due to his inflexibility. Trained as a researcher and engineer, he lived and swore by proven methods, scientific reasoning and logic over any emotional healing or holistic “mumbo jumbo.” After suffering a debilitating injury that left him in a wheelchair, he ;earned a form of transformational self-healing and recently played competitively in the ALTA tennis league at age 71!

No comments:

Post a Comment